Wednesday, June 23, 2010

texting vs. email

I have both unlimited texting and unlimited calling on my blackberry. If this does not tell you anything, I do use my phone a lot. I mainly text though, simply because it is easier to just ask one question rather than calling to ask. That way if the person is busy they can just respond on their own time. Unless I need an immediate answer, I will probably just text. With texting you can also avoid awkward silence when there is nothing to talk about. I also text if I am in a situation that prevents me from just picking up the phone and calling. If I am at work or in class, I will probably just text. I also have days where I want to text and days when I just do not feel like it. Sometimes I can carry on a conversation through texting, but when I get tired of it I just call. Another thing that I noticed about texting was the way I texted. Of course texting is supposed to be fast and convenient but I had this habit of making sure I properly spelled everything and I never used short hand or slang. I had proper English in every text. Lately though I have been texting different people who do not exactly follow this habit, so I have slacked off a bit. I have seen though where texting slang has interfered with my writing skills and my verbal skills. I do not speak quite as proper or even write properly. I think I had this habit of texting properly simply because I am an English major. I normally do not email unless I am responding to someone else. If I do send emails they normally go to my professors, and of course I write properly and use email etiquette. I am not very fond of emailing simply because the message is delayed. Some people do not get their emails sent directly to their phone, so it may be days before I get a response, and that tends to annoy me. I also have heard the excuse “sorry I received too many emails and yours just fell through,” so I would rather not email any professors if they are not going to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment