Monday, May 31, 2010

who am I?

Right now, I am really mad because I just typed this whole assignment, went to save and post it, and for some crazy reason the page said error, and it did not post OR save. So, let me start all over again. Hello, my name is Kimberly and I am very connected to the digital world, thanks to my blackberry. It's more like a curse than a blessing, I really do not care to be so connected, but with such a smart phone it is hard to avoid all the technology. I do though have a facebook account, a twitter account and my email all linked to my blackberry, so as you can imagine, my phone is constantly blowing up all day long. Along with all the cyber notifications, I also deal with text messages and phone calls. I mainly connect with friends and family, but every now and then I may have to speak to co-workers. Honestly though, I spend way too much time in the digital world. I recently started "tweeting" mainly to keep up with the latest information on my favorite celebrities, one in particular being Lady Gaga. Since she is constantly touring and doing concerts, I find it interesting to see what she is doing in other countries. Even more fascinating, she is tweeting from a different country, so its a worldwide trend rather than just something in America. What is most intriguing though, is the way she connects with her fans through this digital medium and how her fans connect with each other. They plan mass voting/requesting sessions to boost her air play on the radio, and it fascinates me how they all do this in one digital medium, only to pass to another, being the radio. With all of this being said, I do believe I can go without all of these digital mediums. I went 21 years without twitter, 18 years without facebook, 14 years without a cell phone, and amazingly, I am still alive. I do though believe that cell phones are very useful, when they are not being used abusively. Rather than being called cell phones, they should have been named "emergency devices" because they are excellent to have for that "just in case moment." So, I could definitely go without all these digital mediums. I rarely get on facebook, and I mainly use twitter to view what other people are saying rather than myself BUT, I cannot live without music, so I may have to sneak a little Lady Gaga in every now and then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment